award winning club

First mention of establishing a Cobdogla & District Club came in the 1949-50 bowling season, when the Police Department issued a warning that bowling clubs were breaking the law regarding the consumption of liquor in club houses.


A meeting was then called in the Cobdogla Institute, which was well attended.  During the meeting all doors were locked and only those who were in favour of the Club were allowed to remain, and these men became the Foundation Members on payment of their subscriptions.  There were 68 members. 


Finance was a big problem, however with money from several years’ membership subscriptions paid in advance, loans free of interest from members etc, the Club managed to get started.


The Cobdogla and District Club was officially opened as a Community Club on Saturday 6th December 1958.  This was a grand achievement and showed a true Community effort.